Week 6
This project is flying by! I can't believe we are already six weeks in. My goal for the week was to learn how the embryos are evaluated after they are flushed. This turned out to be a lot less extensive than I had originally thought. My biggest struggle this week was fighting the urge to nap instead of working on my project. I'm blaming it on the Thanksgiving food.
Through my research I found that each embryo is evaluated to determine the quality and level of development after they are flushed from the donor cow. Under a microscope the size, color, and texture of the embryo is examined. They are also looked at on the cellular level. Compactness and regularity are two of the main components evaluated. Based on these observations, the embryos are graded 1-4. One is excellent and four is dead or unviable. Grade one embryos are the prime candidates for freezing, but grade twos are sometimes also used. However, the pregnancy rates are usually lowered if grade two embryos are used.
The development is also examined at this time and numbered. The scale ranges from Stage One (unfertilized) to Stage Nine (expanded hatched blastocyte). These terms had me confused when I first encountered them, so don't feel bad if you are lost. Basically, it refers to how much the cells have multiplied and grown before being flushed. While any stage can be transferred, Stages four to six endure the freeze the best. After they are examined, the embryos are then frozen to preserve them until they can be implanted into the recipient cow.
A cool fact I found out this week is that according to one study, only 58% of the embryos were transferable. Anyways, I have really been enjoying this project, so I can't wait to finish it up.
Through my research I found that each embryo is evaluated to determine the quality and level of development after they are flushed from the donor cow. Under a microscope the size, color, and texture of the embryo is examined. They are also looked at on the cellular level. Compactness and regularity are two of the main components evaluated. Based on these observations, the embryos are graded 1-4. One is excellent and four is dead or unviable. Grade one embryos are the prime candidates for freezing, but grade twos are sometimes also used. However, the pregnancy rates are usually lowered if grade two embryos are used.
| Embryos that are to be evaluated. |
The development is also examined at this time and numbered. The scale ranges from Stage One (unfertilized) to Stage Nine (expanded hatched blastocyte). These terms had me confused when I first encountered them, so don't feel bad if you are lost. Basically, it refers to how much the cells have multiplied and grown before being flushed. While any stage can be transferred, Stages four to six endure the freeze the best. After they are examined, the embryos are then frozen to preserve them until they can be implanted into the recipient cow.
| These are the development stages of the embryos. |
A cool fact I found out this week is that according to one study, only 58% of the embryos were transferable. Anyways, I have really been enjoying this project, so I can't wait to finish it up.
This is a really interesting project not just for you but for me also, the difference between us is you have more motivation to learn about it. This is a high dollar thing now of days and becoming more common every year. I have always wondered about this stuff and would love to talk to you about all of it once this is over.
ReplyDelete