Sign Language 2.1
Well, Maci and I have had a successful week of learning sign language! Originally we planned to learn the alphabet this week. However, we found that was fairly easy as we both already knew some of it. We decided to move on to numbers ahead of schedule, so we have already messed up our planner. Oh well, at least we are ahead of schedule and not behind!
The alphabet did not pose much trouble and was pretty easy for both of us. However, the numbers were a different story. We found a great video that showed us 1-30 so that is what we decided to learn. We found that they were much different than we anticipated, and some were very similar. I did not realize the direction of your hand mattered so much. For some of the numbers the back of your hand faces you and for others it faces away. The hardest thing I found was remembering which numbers were which way. Another thing I didn't realize is that signing will make your hand tired. The numbers mostly use your fingers, so by the time we were finished both of our hands were tired from the new movements.
Because we are ahead of schedule, next week we will be learning animals. I am super excited for this part because I think it will be interesting to see if the signs are similar to something that represents the animal (such as horns for a cow). Stay tuned for our progress next week!
The alphabet did not pose much trouble and was pretty easy for both of us. However, the numbers were a different story. We found a great video that showed us 1-30 so that is what we decided to learn. We found that they were much different than we anticipated, and some were very similar. I did not realize the direction of your hand mattered so much. For some of the numbers the back of your hand faces you and for others it faces away. The hardest thing I found was remembering which numbers were which way. Another thing I didn't realize is that signing will make your hand tired. The numbers mostly use your fingers, so by the time we were finished both of our hands were tired from the new movements.
Because we are ahead of schedule, next week we will be learning animals. I am super excited for this part because I think it will be interesting to see if the signs are similar to something that represents the animal (such as horns for a cow). Stay tuned for our progress next week!
I am glad to hear that you and Maci are already ahead of schedule. I am also surprised that your hand hurt after doing sign language too much. Do you think that will go away as you start to get used to signing? Anyways, good luck with learning animals!
ReplyDelete