Sign Language 2.2
Well, another week of Genius Hour has come and gone. This week Maci and I decided to learn animals. We found a couple really great videos that were easy to follow. We ended up learning the signs for about 20 different animals. One of the things I found very cool was that the signs usually corresponded with something the animal does, or a trait they exhibit. One example of this is the sign for monkey is scratching your sides.
One of the biggest challenges I have found is finding quality sources. Sometimes it is very hard to decipher images if you just Google something. The arrows showing movement are pretty confusing on a lot of them. We mostly stick to videos because they seem to be easier to follow, and we are usually able to learn a whole group of similar things all at once, which is very helpful.
Next week we will most likely be learning adjectives. I'm pretty excited to keep going and learn more because right now Maci and I can't really converse with each other. I'm hoping that in the next week or so we will be able to communicate back and forth decently. That's all for this week, so stay tuned for what's coming next.
|
The sign for monkey.
|
Next week we will most likely be learning adjectives. I'm pretty excited to keep going and learn more because right now Maci and I can't really converse with each other. I'm hoping that in the next week or so we will be able to communicate back and forth decently. That's all for this week, so stay tuned for what's coming next.

This is a cool idea! I bet it is pretty hard to have a conversation when you only know some things. I remember learning the alphabet in elementary school, but I don't remember any of it. Goodluck in your next week!
ReplyDeleteI found it interesting watching you practice signing different animals. I understand how difficult it is to find good explanations for different movements because I tried to learn some basic sign language last year (I didn't get very far). Have you encountered any words that hurt your hand to sign? Also, does it matter which hand you sign with?
ReplyDelete