Sign Language 2.7
As we move into our final weeks of this Genius Hour, I realized we have not made as much progress as we had initially thought we would. I guess we aimed a little too high for this project. Maci and I have a heck of a time remembering the signs we learn. I'm pretty sure we spend most of the time we practice relearning signs we learned in past weeks. Needless to say, our planning sheet was not much help.
I have a terrible time remembering things, so I try to relate it to something to help me remember them. Some signs, like bear, are easy because the sign is similar to the word. For bear you make "claws" with you hands and scratch your shoulders. This reminds me of a bear so I remember it pretty easily. Others are not so easy. I find the words like "make", "from", "have", etc. are the hardest to remember because they don't have clues in the signs. These are often pretty similar too, so that makes it all the more difficult. I am still trying to figure out a system that helps me remember those ones.
Brianna seems to be doing pretty well with her project, and I'm glad she enjoys it so much. However, I just can't say I'm thrilled about this Genius Hour. It is super difficult for me and I found I'm not overly passionate about it either. In the long run I don't see myself continuing because it frustrates me so much. I do think Maci and I will be able to stick it out for the TED Talk and the song we plan to preform though.
I have a terrible time remembering things, so I try to relate it to something to help me remember them. Some signs, like bear, are easy because the sign is similar to the word. For bear you make "claws" with you hands and scratch your shoulders. This reminds me of a bear so I remember it pretty easily. Others are not so easy. I find the words like "make", "from", "have", etc. are the hardest to remember because they don't have clues in the signs. These are often pretty similar too, so that makes it all the more difficult. I am still trying to figure out a system that helps me remember those ones.
| Bear |
| From- touch fingers lie shown and pull top finger away |
https://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/lessons/lessons.htm
This is the link to the website we use. I wish we would have found it earlier because it is easy to use and has lessons broken up for you. If anyone is learning sign language in the future I would highly recommend this.
Brianna seems to be doing pretty well with her project, and I'm glad she enjoys it so much. However, I just can't say I'm thrilled about this Genius Hour. It is super difficult for me and I found I'm not overly passionate about it either. In the long run I don't see myself continuing because it frustrates me so much. I do think Maci and I will be able to stick it out for the TED Talk and the song we plan to preform though.
I have loved practicing with you both! I know you will eventually remember those signs. It is just about knowing what you have to sign before you do it. I love how you included a link to the lesson plan that we have been using because I know that that website has helped me so much. Good luck with your TED talk! I will have to see if I can decipher what you're signing!
ReplyDeleteI'm really looking forward to your TED Talk. I lost interest in my Genius Hour over time and it became more and more difficult to continue, so I understand not wanting to continue after it's over. Good luck!
ReplyDelete