Sign Language 2.4

Well to be quite frank, Maci and I did not get to accomplish as much as we had hoped. This week has been super chaotic for us both and unfortunately sign language was drown out by homework. We managed to work in class today to figure out so greetings.

We learned things like hello, goodbye, my name is Brooke, and what are you doing. One thing I thought was pretty interesting is how there are multiple ways to sign the same thing. For instance, when you sign a double letter when you spell out a word (like the two "o"s in Brooke) there are two ways. You can make the sign two times, or you can make the sign and slide it horizontally away from you. Another thing Maci and I encountered was different ways to say a phrase. Brianna was showing us how she learned to say "hello, my name is"  but it was a little different than what we had been doing. The video we watched did not incorporate the "is" into the phrase, but hers did. We will now be looking into which version is correct.

Next week I am hoping we get to more conversational phrases. In the beginning we were picking it up pretty fast, but as we add more and more it is getting harder to remember it all. We sure have slowed down the last couple weeks because there are so many signs that are so precise and similar. Anyways, I hope we get to the point next week where we can do simple conversations with the stuff we have learned in the previous weeks.

Comments

  1. I know that there is a "grammar" to sign language. I only have limited knowledge on the subject, but when I attempted to learn it, I encountered that problem once or twice (I'm not sure which is right, sorry). I like how there's multiple ways to say something, even though it must get confusing sometimes. I can't wait to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very surprising that there are different ways to sign different things. I wonder if the way you learned was a type of shortened up "slang" version that most people use. I think I would get very confused when trying to learn to sign, especially if there are more than one way! Luckily you guys can collaborate with each other and learn together. Good luck with the rest of the project!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment